November 4, 2008

Caleb for president


Today Caleb, my 5 year old, and I were discussing Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain and what they believed. We talked about taxes, health care, and I started to bring up abortion, but stopped myself, fearing he was too young to hear about it. I had begun to say that Mr. McCain believes that if a mommy can't take care of her child, she should give it up for adoption. Caleb asked what Mr. Obama believed, and I told him that he believed there was something else Mommy's could do that Daddy and I don't think is right. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Caleb: What do those mommies do?

Me: I don't want to tell you until you're a little older. But daddy and I think it's wrong.

Caleb: Do they kill the babies?

Me: Yes, how did you know that?

Caleb: I just guessed. Doesn't that hurt the babies?

Me: Yes, it does very much.

Caleb: Are they in the mommy's tummies still or not.

Me: They are still in the mommy's tummy, yes.

Caleb: Why don't they just let someone else have the baby?

Me: I don't know.

Caleb: Does Mr. Obama love God?

Me: He says he believes is God, so I guess he does.


(Caleb was quiet for a moment, then said)

Caleb: But the 6th commandment says "do not kill." If Mr. Obama loves God, why does he think it's ok to kill babies?

Me: I don't know kiddo. I really don't know.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Caleb has my vote! Who can resist that face!

Amanda said...

Way to make me cry! How sweet, precious, and innocent is a child's understanding....and so right on.

magnolia queen said...

WOW.
Caleb for President....

NOW!
;)

I'm sooo glad you shared this!